Saturday, July 6, 2013

I thank Mary for my Hosta 'Blue Mouse Ears'



While I was at a Hosta club sale in 2012, I was checking out the plants and containers other gardeners were able to score. I saw some Hosta 'Blue Mouse Ears' in one of the containers my friend Mary bought. I had been looking for this durable little hosta for quite some time. They didn't have more available at the sale. Lamenting about this, she quickly separated out 5 mature divisions spreading about 10" wide. The caveat was that I had to return the favor the following year by giving her some of the divisions back. I thought Mary was off her rocker, but agreed.

It's disappointing that I don't typically find this little charmer in local garden centers. Recently, I did find Hosta 'Blue Mouse Ears' at a garden center, on sale even. After a quick glance at the plants and the price, I was not compelled to buy these plants at all. The plants were unhealthy, small and way over-priced. I'm not scientific about my limit of cost to desire, but this plant (pictured here) was well in the limit. This problem is all too common.

Would you pay for a plant that is typically a high performer but is in visible distress? I'm not an economics major, but I know there's an equation for this. I frequently go to end-of-season sales and sweep up the perennials that have died back into the pot. It is common for me to buy the kind of plant that a normal (perhaps even sane) home owner would walk by as if it were garbage. I buy these because I know that they will perform. I do it because I see that the roots are still healthy and the plant has completed its season. I do it for the deal. This is my kind of deal. But I could not convince myself, and I tried hard, to buy any of these hostas. Would you?

This year, true to her word, Mary asked for a small division of the Blue Mouse Ears back. I was able to give her almost the same amount of plant back as she gave me in the first place. It was because the plants were healthy to begin with. These little hostas are true performers. They multiply very well. These 6" tall plants haven't needed extra love. No fertilizer has been added for their performance. They are slug resistant and have strong purple flowers. I highly recommend them for front borders or containers.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...