Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"Oh What A Beautiful Garden" is right about Dahlias


Last spring my friend Carol Cichorski over at Oh What A Beautiful Garden was kind enough to let me stay with her and her family while in town for a conference (fantastic hosts by the way). While there, I was surprised to find out that Carol and her husband are avid Dahlia growers. Their garden was worthy of a tour and once they found out I had never grown Dahlias, they decided that trend must change. On my last day with them, I left with a large number of flower tubers tucked safely in my car.

I grew the hell out of those tubers. My Dahlias were certainly nothing compared to theirs  but 'Oh What a' wonderful addition of late season color. Many gardeners groan at the thought of having to dig plants up at the end of the season. Though the tubers will need to be dug up, these little gems are worth the minimal effort.  It's like a little treasure hunt to find all of the new tubers.

Dahlias run the gamut of colors, sizes, and textures. They offer something for just about everybody. If the large stems fall or bend to the ground, they just put down more roots, turn and run toward the sun again. Amazing example of phototropism. Dahlias are incredibly durable and fun in the garden. Thank you Carol.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...