Sunday, June 12, 2011

There is no scaring a Carpenter Bee

This is a follow-up post to my June 4th post, "Shoot, Carpenter Bees." Since I scared the Carpenter bee away last time I saw it, I was pretty sure it would find another spot to go and chew on. I took a glance at the little hole chewed into my trellis.

A hole started by a Carpenter bee (Xylocopa virginica).

Since the last post, that bee had returned. Carpenter bees chew into wood about 1/2", then take a right turn and keep on chewing a tunnel with the grain of the wood for about 1 to 2 feet.One out of 4 legs of the pyramidal trellis is now tunneled out by that same little critter.

Xylocopa virginica (Carpenter Bee) takes a right turn

I was surprised at how easily that bee was scared away. Silly me.

1 comment:

  1. I have a carpenter be that has his home somewhere near the flower garden. Normally he wouldn't bother me but I think he's scaring the honey bees and other bees away. I'm worried that the flowers won't get good pollination if he is keeping the others away. Do you know if this is true? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...