Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gone in the blink of an eye

I can't believe this weather! I've been waiting five years for my Paeonia 'Thumbelina' (Peony Thumbelina) to bloom. I bought it as a very small bareroot plant and expected to wait for a year or two to see the blooms. Two years ago my toddler sat on it losing an antagonizing battle to gravity. Last year my 90 pound black lab sat on it resting after taking chase on a squirrel and losing.


So when this compact little beauty, marketed for rock gardens, bloomed this year, I was ready. I have been taking photos of it all week while waiting for the tight little buds to open. I expected something tragic to happen. A renegade frisbee accident. Death by squirrel.


No tragedy. The flowers opened up yesterday. Just offering a peek at the beautiful golden stamens inside. Gorgeous.  This morning there was no sun shining, with a forecast of rain and heat. At the last minute, on my way out the door to work, I grabbed my camera and took a shot of the flowers and left to get on with my day.


We were greeted with an unusually high heat, and no rain. I didn't see it coming. I got home and the petals were on the ground. Just a single day of full bloom.

Was it worth the wait? Yes. Was it worth the life of the bloom? Not so much. But I'm going to give it another a year, see what next year brings. My son, a King Kong in training? My dog, named Dog, that gets outwitted by a squirrel and is making a mockery of my efforts by sitting on my plants? The reality is, that I won't remove a shrub that isn't dead, but it will be fun to think about what will happen next year in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...