Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hey, I can see your stamens


My husband won't select a pack of berries unless they actually smell like strawberries. He stands there, digging through numerous cartons until he finds that perfect one. I make fun of him. He says that if they don't have that sweet fragrance, then they aren't sweet. He's never been wrong on this account. I don't hold it against him.

Digging in the fridge for a snack tonight, I stumbled on a fresh batch of strawberries. These already curiously large berries had the largest leaf cap (calyx) I've seen on picked fruit. I've also never seen petals and stamens still clinging tightly to a fully developed strawberry. These are anomalies that I'm not sure I can explain, but I oddities that I notice on a day-to-day basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...