Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight' Winter Appeal


The weather in my area has taken a 70 degree swing over a one week period. All of our snow is gone and we were teased with the sweet smell of a spring day. I took advantage of the day by grabbing my camera and taking a sun filled photo walk.


I found a nice collection of Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight' (Limelight Hydrangea) that still had all of the flower heads attached. It looks like a shrub in bloom while most everything else is still working on developing buds.


It's in the buds where I now have a question about what is otherwise a fantastic plant. On closer inspection I saw that not one terminal bud was still intact on the plant. The old flowers standing proud, the lateral buds all looked good, but the tips of all of the branches were tipped by the weather.


According the Proven Winners, 'Limelight' is known to be hardy all the way up to zone 3. In central Illinois we did have this crazy little cold snap of sustained negative temperatures (F). The plants themselves looked fantastic otherwise. I'm interested to see what will happen when spring truly hits. Will the plants need to be pruned back? Will they just be self-pruning? I'm eager to see.

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed that the buds on my H. paniculata 'Little Lamb' look less than healthy. Since it's their first year in the garden, I'm not sure what to expect this spring.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...